In a major step, the Centre has announced a precautionary third dose against COVID-19 for all adults above 60 years of age with precaution doses starting from April 10.
The decision comes amid reports of a fresh outbreak of the infection in two major cities of China, Shenzhen and Shanghai. A new XE variant was initially thought to have been detected in Mumbai, but there are no confirmed reports as of yet.
‘It has been decided that precaution dose of COVID vaccines will be made available to 18+ population group at private vaccination centres. The administration of Precaution Dose to 18+ population through Private Vaccination Centres would start from 10th April (Sunday), 2022. All those who are more than 18 years of age & have completed 9 months after the administration of second dose, would be eligible for Precaution Dose. This facility would be available in all Private Vaccination Centres,’ the statement issued by the Centre said.
India rolled out its vaccination programme on January 16 last year with frontline workers getting priority, as will be the case for the third dose as well, along with senior citizens.
All those who are more than 18 years of age and have taken the second dose of the vaccine at least before 9 months are eligible for the precaution dose, the health ministry said.