There is a real misconception about gamers that has been floating around for ages now. The idea that if youíre a gamer, youíre isolated and lack social skills is often thrown around. And while that may be the case for some, it is certainly not a given. In fact, during the pandemic, gaming opened up a new door in terms of communicating and socialising that has made people view the hobby in a whole other way. Letís take a look at why being a gamer neednít lead to social isolation, and what you can do to ensure you stay connected to others.
Choose Games with an Online Option
The first tip is to choose games that offer an online play option. This means you will be playing with others from around the world rather than you against the computer, or just yourself. Online gaming instantly infuses interaction and socialisation into the game. For introverts, it can also be a simpler way to interact with others since it is not face-to-face, so it is less intimidating. Some of these games will have you pitted against other random players, and then there are games where you can build a team that consists of your network of friends.
Make Use of the In-Game Chat Features
You can then take the online gaming experience further and use the in-game chat features. This allows you to talk with other players online, making for a competitive or cooperative social activity. If this is the style of gaming you plan to engage in, you will want to invest in a high-quality, noise-cancelling headset with a mic. Make sure the mic and the headset are adjustable to allow for the perfect comfortable fit.
Invite Friends Over to Play
And letís not forget that gaming with friends doesnít just exist in an online realm; you can also invite your friends over to play. There are plenty of engaging games that are perfect for a house party or one-on-one play with your best buddy. A couple of options worth checking out if you plan on playing with friends at your house include:
- Super Mario Party
- Call of Duty World War 2
- Mario Cart 8 Deluxe
- Wii Sports
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Choose Engaging Games that Feel Like the Real Thing
The final tip is to choose games that are engaging and immersive, feeling like a real experience. An online casino is meant to feel just like the real deal, providing all the same thrills and fun. You can even take advantage of the best casino bonus in Canada to extend your play time. One benefit with online casinos is that you typically get even more games to play since they arenít constrained by square footage.
There is no reason to assume that just because you like video games that you are destined to suffer from social isolation. For many people, gaming provides them with a better opportunity to connect with others and build friendships.
- As per the Public Gambling Act of 1867, all Indian states, except Goa, Daman and Sikkim, prohibit gambling
- Land-based casinos are legalized, with certain guidelines, in Goa and Daman, as per the Goa, Daman and Diu Public Gambling Act 1976††
- Land-based casinos, Online gambling and E-gaming (games of chance) are legalized in Sikkim under the Sikkim Online Gaming (Regulation) Rules 2009
- Only some Indian states have legalized online/regular lotteries as per and subject to the conditions laid down by state laws. Kindly refer to the same here
- Horse racing and betting on horse racing, including online betting, is permitted only in a licensed premise in select states. Kindly refer to the 1996 Judgement by the Supreme Court Of India here and for more information
- This article does not endorse or express the views of Qrius and/or any of its staff.
Stay updated with all the insights.
Navigate news, 1 email day.
Subscribe to Qrius