Slot machines have been a popular casino pastime for many years. In fact, the first slot machine was created back in 1894, pioneered by Charles Augustus Fey. Known as the Liberty Bell, this machine became the basis for many slot machines to come – until technological advancements eventually sparked the development of the first video slot in 1976.
Almost a century after the first slot machine made its debut and the first online casino opened its virtual doors. 1996 saw the beginning of possibilities for online slot games, and as technology continued to evolve – Slots evolved further.
Greater graphics, new mechanics and even more bonus rounds have paved the way for a huge variety of games, and now, Slots have taken another step into the future: in Virtual Reality (VR).
Read on to find out more.
What is an Oculus Rift?
An Oculus Rift is primarily used for playing video games, but can also display videos and chat rooms to help being virtual worlds and experiences to people who might not be able to experience them otherwise.
Over the past few years, there have been some attempts at creating VR games in the likes of arcades, but recent advancements in technology have allowed for VR to excel, with the Oculus Rift – otherwise known as a Meta Quest – being one of the leading products.
It was originally funded through a Kickstarter campaign back in 2012, and the first commercial version of this lightweight headset was released in March 2016.
How does Virtual Reality work?
The technology involved in VR can range from fairly simple to complex. An Oculus Rift, or other devices like the Playstation VR, are known as head-mounted displays or HMDs.
The headsets aim to create a virtual environment in 3D that makes us feel as though we are in a lifelike world. The most common inner workings utilise two screens, with an individual view for each eye, creating a 3D perspective. There are also lenses between the screen and your eyes which help to distort the screen-presented image into something more lifelike.
Of course, the process is a lot more complex, with some of the latest technology helping to create something that seems as though it could be magic.
Slots in VR
With plenty of ways to experience VR, as previously mentioned, you can now play online slot games too!
Rather than trying your chances at the casino through your flat laptop or phone screen, you can now step into the virtual venue, thanks to your Oculus Rift.
Some casinos allow you to waltz around the room, chatting to other players as you go, and some only allow the software on certain games. Either way, you could experience some iconic Slots titles, such as Starburst and Gonzo’s Quest, in a way we never could’ve imagined.
What’s more, some Live Casino games are even available in VR, so you could truly get the ultimate casino experience, taken to a whole new level as you step into the 3D world provided by your headset.
Will you be giving VR Slots a go?
- As per the Public Gambling Act of 1867, all Indian states, except Goa, Daman and Sikkim, prohibit gambling
- Land-based casinos are legalized, with certain guidelines, in Goa and Daman, as per the Goa, Daman and Diu Public Gambling Act 1976
- Land-based casinos, Online gambling and E-gaming (games of chance) are legalized in Sikkim under the Sikkim Online Gaming (Regulation) Rules 2009
- Only some Indian states have legalized online/regular lotteries as per and subject to the conditions laid down by state laws. Kindly refer to the same here
- Horse racing and betting on horse racing, including online betting, is permitted only in a licensed premise in select states. Kindly refer to the 1996 Judgement by the Supreme Court Of India here and for more information
- This article does not endorse or express the views of Qrius and/or any of its staff.
Stay updated with all the insights.
Navigate news, 1 email day.
Subscribe to Qrius