Rummy is one of the most popular card games and it involves two or more players. It is a skill game that requires players to use their knowledge of the game and skills to arrange cards in the required combinations to make a valid declaration.
This fast and straightforward game is fun to play as there are no complex moves involved. Once you are familiar with the rules and play sufficient practice games to improve your gaming skills, you can play rummy online like an expert in no time. On online rummy platforms such as Junglee Rummy App, play the Indian rummy for free! You can play unlimited free practice games to understand the game, sharpen your skills and have great fun. Junglee Rummy also allows you to play rummy for real money and win cash prizes and other rewards.
Two or more players play the game at a table. When there are more than two players at the table, two decks of cards are used.
The objective of the game
The game is played by two to six players using one or two card decks. Every player at the table is dealt 13 cards at the beginning of the game. A random card is selected as the wild joker and all the cards of the value become wild jokers in the game.
On each turn, you need to draw a card from any of the two piles of cards on the table: the closed deck and the open deck. After picking a card, you have to discard one of your cards to the open deck. The cards in the closed deck are placed face down, whereas the cards in the open deck are placed face up.
The objective of the game is to arrange all 13 cards in sequences, or sequences and sets. There should be at least two sequences, out of which at least one must be a pure sequence, to make a valid declaration. You can use both printed and wild jokers to make impure sequences and sets.
- Sequence: A sequence is a group of cards that has three or four consecutive cards of the same suit. There are two types of sequences: pure and impure sequences.
- Sets: A set is a group of three or four cards of the same rank but different suits. It cannot have more than one card from a suit. You can use one or more jokers to replace any missing cards in a set.
The player who makes a valid declaration first wins the game.
Smart tips and tricks
- You should prioritize creating a pure sequence as it is essential for a valid declaration. Creating a pure sequence also helps to reduce your score and avoid losing by a big margin in case your opponent declares first.
- Keep a close watch on the moves of your opponents. Make a mental note of the cards they are hoarding and discarding. It will give you a fair idea about the cards they might have in their hands.
- Check if you have any of the cards they may need, and hold on to them if you can.
- Discard high-value cards like aces, kings, queens and jacks as soon as possible, if you do not need them by the second or third turn. Holding on to them to form sequences and sets can be risky, as they will increase your penalty points if any other player declares before you.
- Focus on middle cards, which can help form more combinations with other middle cards. For instance, if you hold a 5 of any suit, you can make a sequence with 3 and 4, 4 and 6, or 6 and 7.
- If you have jokers in your hand, you have a head start but only if you use them wisely. You can use them to form sets and impure sequences quickly and make a valid declaration before your opponents.
- Don’t use a joker in a pure sequence. Using a joker in a pure sequence will turn it into an impure sequence. It can come in handy elsewhere.
- Use alternate colours to arrange your cards. A red-black-red or vice versa can help you avoid discarding a valuable card by mistake.
Tricking your opponents
Rummy is a game of shrewd and smart moves. If you are good enough at the game, you can trick your opponents into discarding the cards you need to complete a set or sequence. This is called fishing. For example, if you are looking to create a set of three 9s and you have two 9s and one 8, you can discard the 8. This might lead your opponent to believe it is safe to discard 9. This can help you complete your set.
- As far as possible, avoid picking up cards from the discard pile. If your opponent is a smart and an experienced rummy player, they will quickly decode your moves and could prevent you from making a valid declaration.
- If you feel the cards are not in your favor when they are dealt and you plan to drop the game, do it at the beginning instead of waiting for a couple of rounds.
- If you have too many jokers and find it hard to form a pure sequence, don’t hesitate to discard one or more jokers.
Rummy is a highly entertaining game that keeps you hooked for hours at a time. Now that you know the game rules, download a trusted rummy game app like Junglee Rummy and enjoy the game. Once you have gained confidence in the game, you can play cash games on Junglee Rummy App and use these tips and tricks to defeat your opponents and take home real cash prizes and other exciting rewards!
Stay updated with all the insights.
Navigate news, 1 email day.
Subscribe to Qrius