Stress is a necessary element of daily life. This is important to remember because not all stress is negative. In fact, humans need a certain amount of positive stress in order to motivate themselves, challenge themselves, and derive meaning from their lives. Without stress, human civilization would not exist.
However, just as positive stress can help you, negative stress can hurt you.
Negative stress is essentially positive stress when it builds up to an intense level and spills over into an adverse reaction – such as health issues, bad moods, and constant agitation. Most people understand what this feels like and why it is important to eliminate negative stress as much as possible.
Not only does negative stress increase the chances of long-term health issues, it impacts your ability to complete daily tasks – whether your job, interacting with others or even sleeping.
As a result, you must have a few key stress-beating hacks in your back pocket to deal with negative stress when it crops up. While negative stress is often due to core aspects of your lifestyle (such as your work), it is better to learn to manage the stress itself rather than burning yourself out or dropping out of your career.
This is how to better manage daily stress – without quitting your job:
Try playing online games
Reducing negative stress revolves largely around your mental focus – or lack of it. You can become obsessed with certain challenges, setbacks, or seemingly impossible work tasks which take over your consciousness, leaving no room for stillness.
To counteract this, you might want to unwind occasionally by playing online games, such as Legal Mobile poker Apps. While these won’t have a direct effect, they can help you have fun and distract you from other responsibilities for a little while.
One of the oldest and most proven techniques for lowering negative stress levels is daily meditation.
Although you might not think you can sit still for minutes on end, taking the time to focus on your thoughts, slow your heartbeat down and listen to the sounds around you can have a transformative effect.
Once your consciousness has a chance to settle, you will gradually regain your mental stillness, which is critical to both mental and physical health.
Read more books
If you don’t think your mind is ready for meditation just yet, you can achieve a similar effect by reading for as little as half an hour a day.
This is because a good book will focus your mind on a simple task, distract you from your worries and calm your nervous system down.
Negative stress is, above all, a fight or flight mentality, so you need to focus on returning your mind and body back to an even keel.
Reading can help with this and improve your knowledge in the process.
Listen to calming music
Again, if the above tasks feel like too steep a challenge, you can help induce a more tranquil mental state by listening to calming music.
Sound has an immense effect on daily moods, so be careful with regularly listening to music. Fast-paced and aggressive music may be contributing to your constant state of stress.
Instead, calming sounds and classical music can help enormously.
- As per the Public Gambling Act of 1867, all Indian states, except Goa, Daman and Sikkim, prohibit gambling
- Land-based casinos are legalized, with certain guidelines, in Goa and Daman, as per the Goa, Daman and Diu Public Gambling Act 1976
- Land-based casinos, Online gambling and E-gaming (games of chance) are legalized in Sikkim under the Sikkim Online Gaming (Regulation) Rules 2009
- Only some Indian states have legalized online/regular lotteries as per and subject to the conditions laid down by state laws. Kindly refer to the same here
- Horse racing and betting on horse racing, including online betting, is permitted only in a licensed premise in select states. Kindly refer to the 1996 Judgement by the Supreme Court Of India here and for more information
- This article does not endorse or express the views of Qrius and/or any of its staff.
Stay updated with all the insights.
Navigate news, 1 email day.
Subscribe to Qrius