Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai told Singaporean newspaper Lianhe Zaobao on Sunday that her allegation of sexual abuse had been misinterpreted.
Peng’s social media post, in which she made the allegation, and her subsequent disappearance from public view prompted global concern, the New York Times reported.
Peng Shuai said she was living at her home in Beijing and was not under any kind of official supervision.
‘I would like to stress a very important point: I have never said nor written anything accusing anyone of sexually assaulting me,” the 35-year-old said in footage apparently filmed on a phone at a sports event in Shanghai.
“I would like to emphasize this point very clearly,’ Shuai has been quoted.
The Women’s Tennis Association, which has suspended matches in China over the issue, said Shuai’s latest statement did not address its concerns about her wellbeing. The association reiterated its call for ‘a full, fair and transparent investigation, without censorship, into her allegation of sexual assault.’
Stay updated with all the insights.
Navigate news, 1 email day.
Subscribe to Qrius