Roulette is a table game that has been around for hundreds of years. Originating in 18th-century France, the game requires you to place a wager on a single number or an array of digits.
Since primitive roulette evolved, it introduced many terms that can seem overwhelming to newbie casino players. Yet, if you learn how to master them, you’ll have greater chances of winning.
Our select roulette terms are associated with the types of roulette games and popular betting strategies, which luckily, don’t require exceptional computational thinking. You can play roulette on this website to try them out in real-time.
Given that, let’s dive into examining five of them.
Parlay, also known as combo or accumulator bet, refers to the strategy of doubling your bet after hitting a win. This gambling style has existed since the 16th century and remains relevant today.
The main principle of Parlay is the following – if you make a win, you stake another amount that is twice your initial bet. Yet, if you make a loss, you must start again from your initial bet.
Consider this example: If you make an initial wager of $20 and lose, you will make another bet of $20 again; If you win, you get $20, making a total of $40. Then you will wager this $40 again. This way, you stand a chance of winning $80.
Keep in mind that there is a risk of losing everything in one go. But without taking risks, you can’t win big.
The technique works best if you bet 50/50 odds, but it depends on your ability to hit a winning streak. The parlay system can also be applied to Blackjack.
American Roulette and European Roulette
As we all know, roulette involves the use of a number wheel. As a newbie, you will hear two resounding terms – American roulette and European (or French) roulette. The design of the wheel in both variants is different.
The American wheel has 38 pockets to accommodate the ball. There are two green pockets for a “0” and a “00”. The other pockets are numbered from 1 to 36, colored either red or black.
Conversely, the European roulette wheel has only one green-colored pocket labeled as “0”, coupled with the red and black pockets labeled from 1 to 36. Another difference is the slight difference between the order of the numbers on both wheels.
Due to the varying design of these wheels, there is also a little difference in the house edge. The probability of winning in European roulette is 1/37, while that of the American variant is 1/38.
Therefore, the house edge for European roulette is 2.7%, and it is about 5.26% for American roulette. Whether you are playing online or in a land-based casino, the concept for both types of roulette applies.
Mini roulette has a smaller wheel with 13 numbers (labeled 0-12), instead of 37 or 38. The payout is also adjusted according to the game’s standard. It is mostly available at some online casinos.
Inside and outside bets
An inside bet is one in which you make a wager on the numbered interior of the roulette table. The payout for inside bets is usually quite large. There are six types of inside bets. They include:
- Corner: This involves betting on four numbers located in a square configuration.
- Six-line: This is a six-number setup wagering system.
- Trio: With a trio bet, you can bet on the two sets of three number configurations – 00/2/3 and 0/1/2.
- Straight-up: This type of inside bet offers you the greatest winning chance. If you place your cash on red 19, you will win if the ball lands on that spot.
- Street: A street bet means wagering on three numbers located on a horizontal line.
- Split: In this method, you set your wager on two adjacent numbers – for example, 14 and 15.
On the other hand, an outside bet involves making a wager on the exterior of the roulette table’s layout. Since your bet covers a large area, the payout is usually lower. The types of outside bets are:
- Red or black:
- Even or odd
- 1 to 18
- 19 to 36
- Column bets
- Dozen bets
The term “Orphelins” is mostly associated with European roulette. Orphelins are digits that are close to each other, not they are not together on the table layout. It includes a set of eight numbers located on a segment of the roulette wheel.
They are 1-20-14-31-9 and 17-34-6. Some people base their gambling style around the use of orphelins.
It is called block betting. You have to bet on the orphelins with the hope of landing the ball on them. The house edge for this technique is about 2.7%.
If you don’t want to feel lost in the heat of action while playing roulette, you need to know certain concepts associated with the game.
We have discussed five of the most basic Roulette terms in the write-up. Start by understanding them. Bear in mind that there are more!
Go through a casino glossary and learn more Roulette terms during your leisure time. As you expand your knowledge base, you will boost your mental performance and increase your winning chances while playing games of chance.
- As per the Public Gambling Act of 1867, all Indian states, except Goa, Daman and Sikkim, prohibit gambling
- Land-based casinos are legalized, with certain guidelines, in Goa and Daman, as per the Goa, Daman and Diu Public Gambling Act 1976
- Land-based casinos, Online gambling and E-gaming (games of chance) are legalized in Sikkim under the Sikkim Online Gaming (Regulation) Rules 2009
- Only some Indian states have legalized online/regular lotteries as per and subject to the conditions laid down by state laws. Kindly refer to the same here
- Horse racing and betting on horse racing, including online betting, is permitted only in a licensed premise in select states. Kindly refer to the 1996 Judgement by the Supreme Court Of India here and for more information
- This article does not endorse or express the views of Qrius and/or any of its staff.
Stay updated with all the insights.
Navigate news, 1 email day.
Subscribe to Qrius